Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Change in Perspective

I made the trek down the mountain this week to do some shopping.  At least that was part of the reason for the trip.  Mostly, I wanted to get out and ride for a while.  So, I dropped off the escarpment to Elkin.

The trip down and back up the escarpment is awe inspiring.  There is a 1500 feet change in elevation over a few short miles, and another 500 feet drop from there to Elkin.  2000 feet doesn't sound like much change, but in the spring and fall the difference in the appearance of the landscape can be striking.

At the foot of Bullhead, the few leaves that are out (mostly maples) are about the size of a squirrel’s ear - small, pale leaflets that are nearly transparent.  On other trees, the buds are swelling, giving a tinge of color to gray woods.

But down the mountain, it is spring and moving rapidly toward summer.  The trees have leafed out and the azaleas are in full bloom.  A fog of pollen drifts about with the slightest breeze.  Most people have mowed their lawns multiple times by now, and some are planting corn and beans in their gardens.

I would not suggest that these are huge differences.  The daytime temperatures are not that far apart though at night it does drop more in the shadow of the mountain.  But drive west to Grayson Highlands and add another 1000 feet of elevation, or east to Raleigh and drop another 600 feet, and the differences become even more pronounced.  The elevation may change one’s perception of the season.

We often hear people talk of having a “high altitude” view of an issue.  My favorite is the 30,000 feet view.  When those words are spoken there seems to be an assumption that from that vantage point, we will have absolute clarity with the issue.  However, I have noticed when flying that often as not, clouds obscure the view from 30,000 feet.  And once I can see clearly, I still have a difficult time determining exactly where I am at from that altitude.

The Hangover - Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest
www.trailspace.com
I recall a late afternoon during the hunting season when I was stationed in Graham County.  U.S. Forest Service officer Russ Arthur wanted to hike into the back country to check a couple of hunting camps.  It was too late to begin the six mile hike, but we went anyway – young and dumb.  It gets dark earlier in the woods and within an hour and a half we were walking with flashlights.  We worked our way out to the Hangover for a spectacular night view of the Slickrock Wilderness Area.  We could see the city lights of Knoxville, Tennessee, 75 miles to the north, and planes leaving the airport just south of Knoxville.  I had been to the Hangover on several occasions, but never at night.  It was breathtaking.

If those physical acts can impact our perspectives on known locations, how much more can we grow by actively listening to the opposing viewpoints of others?  There is great value in asking simple questions such as: “That is an interesting view.  Why do you take that position?” or “I’m not sure that I agree with you, but I would like to hear more of your thoughts on the subject.”

I am not espousing situational ethics or advocating that we compromise our values. However, the willingness to view view life from a slightly different perspective helps give texture to the view of our surroundings and depth to our opinions.  Without a trip down to Wal-Mart this week, I would have told anyone who asked that spring was still a couple of weeks away.  If anyone had said to me that planes could be seen leaving the airport in Knoxville from the Hangover, I would have strongly disagreed until I saw it on that night hike. 

A limited or closed-minded perspective leads to a small worldview.  Bigots grow from ethnocentrism.  The next thing you know, I am the only person who is right.






No comments:

Post a Comment