Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Family Tradition: Mike and Matt Criscoe

One of my favorite childhood memories involves my Uncle Joe.  He had a Plymouth Roadrunner in the late 1960s or early 70s.  I recall the “beep-beep” horn that sounded like the roadrunner cartoon character.  Joe took me on my first 100 mph, no seat belt, no air bag ride on a long, country straightaway in that car.  I suppose my wide-eyed silence led to his advice that we keep it between ourselves and to not tell my mom.

In many cultures, especially those of Native Americans, uncles fill a role of primary teacher and disciplinarian of young men.  It is uncles who clarify for a young man the expectations of manhood.  So, whether it is a Cherokee uncle teaching the ways of life or a southern uncle instilling a love for fast cars, uncles definitely impact a young man during those formative years.

Matt Criscoe’s uncle, Mike Criscoe, had that type of effect on him.  Matt’s early memories of Mike instilled a love for the outdoors and strengthened a desire to serve others – an example first set by Matt’s police officer dad, Richard.

“An early memory was going to Vance County fishing with my dad and Mike coming to see us while he was working.  Later when Mike started the K-9 program, my father was also starting one at his police department (Archdale P.D.).  I remember helping Mike and my father run tracks in the woods, hide articles for searches and with basic K-9 handling.  As a small child I thought that was the most exciting thing.  While helping with that program, I learned a lot from Mike about basic tracking skills (while running tracks for the K-9’s) which I still remember and use to this day.”
Master Officer Matt Criscoe

NCWRC K-9s Nip and Tuck - 1949
Mike was instrumental in the NCWRC Division of Law Enforcement redeploying dogs through a formal K-9 program.  Tracking dogs were utilized by the agency, primarily on wildlife management areas, in years past.  In 1988, Mike and his partner, K-9 Link, initiated a pilot program that resulted in an additional eight teams moving into the field in 1996.  Mike presented at the 1999 Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies’ annual conference on the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission Wildlife Detector Canine Program.

Mike Criscoe and K-9 Link
“At a very early age, as many young children who was raised in a law enforcement family do, I begin to think of going into law enforcement.  But it wasn’t until my mid 20’s that I made my mind up that I was going to be a Wildlife Officer, and come hell or high water nothing was going to stop me.

He [Mike] was very excited.  At the same time [he] made it very clear, ‘…once you make up your mind this is the path you want to follow, don’t stop until you go all the way to the end (the hiring process).  And when you make it, and you will, you will understand why it’s the best job in the world.’”
Master Officer Matt Criscoe

In addition to growing into an integral part of District 4’s wildlife law enforcement efforts, Matt was recognized for his innovation and collaboration with the Division of Wildlife Management in redesigning an alligator trap/transport unit.  This unit has reduced injuries with Commission staff who are tasked with relocating alligators.  For his efforts, Matt was awarded the Governor’s Award for Innovation in 2013.

L-R
Mike Criscoe, Master Officer Matt Criscoe, and Gov, Pat McCrory
Mike worked his last years in Haywood County, in the mountains of western North Carolina.  Like many wildlife officers, years of banging around in a boat left him looking to finish his career on solid ground.  He was reported to have said, “I plan to throw a boat paddle over my shoulder and start west.  When I find someone who asks what I’m carrying because they have never seen a boat paddle, that where I will settle.”

“Ever since I chose this career, Mike and I have grown even closer.  We spend a lot of time together - fishing, frog gigging, running squirrel dogs, etc.  We often talk about the job and compare how it is now with how it used to be.  I often ask him for advice about the job and he’s always willing to give it.  I’m very lucky to have someone so close to me that wore the same uniform, and with whom I share the same officer number and name.”
Master Officer Matt Criscoe

Master Officer Mike Criscoe retired in 2003.  Master Officer Matt Criscoe continues the family tradition in Brunswick County.


No comments:

Post a Comment