Saturday, November 8, 2014

A Family Tradition: Walter and Mike Edmisten

Back in the late 1980s when I was stationed in Graham County, the U.S. Forest Service got a report of a marijuana patch on a narrow ridge above Panther Creek.  It was near the end of the growing season, so they thought they stood a pretty good chance of catching the growers.  This was the front end of the declaration of war on drugs.

I spent some time in the woods with the Forest Service officers on that patch and even more time around their camp at night.  I knew Special Agent Baker Edmisten, mostly by name only.  We were sitting around the fire one night and Baker had on one of the old, green wildlife officer shirts.  I asked him about it and he said he got it from his dad.  That was a time in my career when I was more fixated on catching someone than hearing a good story with a strong dose of history.  Instead of asking about Baker’s dad, the conversation shifted to the details of the next day.

Walter Edmisten's badge
Courtesy of Mike Edmisten
Several years later, during one of my first assignments instructing in the wildlife recruit school, I heard that Baker’s nephew was in the class.  Again, I didn’t really consider asking the recruit, Mike Edmisten, any questions about his uncle or grandfather.  In fact, I had forgotten the grandfather connection.

Walter F. Edmisten was appointed Watauga County wildlife protector with the North Carolina Department of Conservation and Development’s Division of Fish and Game on June 8, 1944.  He was promoted to district supervisor in late 1949 and was a part of the second group of officers to attend the initial in-service training conducted by the newly formed N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, graduating on April 7, 1950.

Walter Edmisten
Second row, second from the right
Chapel Hill, NC
from Wildlife in North Carolina
Courtesy of Mike Edmisten
"My grandfather retired in 1972. I was born in 1973. I never got the pleasure to see him in uniform, or talk to him after a day at work. He did share accounts of what is was like being a "Wildlife Protector" back in the day. For example: I remember him talking about a man who he caught closed season trout fishing in Ashe County. If I remember right he had to obtain an arrest warrant. When he went to get the subject, the individual threated to shoot him if he didn't leave. My "Papaw" as he was known by everybody, drew his .38 Colt revolver and told him that it wasn't worth dying over a trout. The subject was then arrested and taken before a magistrate!

Protector Salaries effective September 1, 1946
Courtesy Mike Edmisten
I remember many days as a child when he would take me to either Meat Camp Creek or the New River to trout fish. He would drop me off and tell me where he would pick me up, and how long it should take me to get to my pick up location. It seems like he was always spot on in his estimation of my arrival time! Forgot to mention that I had to catch my own night crawlers in his back yard the night before!

From Wildlife in North Carolina - 1955
Other memories include him taking me either to the tree farm to stalk rabbits or taking me to the back ridge along the New River to squirrel hunt.

My grandfather helped capture the original Mildred the Bear which was taken to Grandfather Mountain. He would take me up there every summer as a young child when I came to Boone to visit my family.

from Wildlife in North Carolina - 1970
I was about 14 or 15 years old when I first started talking to Papaw about becoming a Wildlife Officer. He was excited to know that I was interested in choosing that career path. I started college at Wayne Community College in 1994 getting my degree in fish and wildlife management. I was in class taking my final exams in 1995, when I received a call that my grandfather had passed. I had just applied to wildlife school a few weeks prior to that. After the application process, I received my letter from Raleigh telling me to be at the Institute of Government on Jan 6th 1996 to start the basic school! My only regret is that I wish Papaw could have known that I made it.”
Master Officer Mike Edmisten
                             


Courtesy of Mike Edmisten
from Wildlife in NC
September 2001
from Wildlife in NC
September 2001
Mike Edmisten is assigned to Durham County.  Geographically and demographically, Durham is almost 180 degrees different from his “Papaw’s” high country duty station.  Mike’s uncle, Baker, went on to work a long career as a special agent with the U.S. Forest Service and later as a U.S. Marshal.  Another uncle, Rufus, served as the N.C. Secretary of State and made a strong, but unsuccessful run for governor in 1984.  It seems that the name Edmisten is synonymous with service.

No comments:

Post a Comment